Thursday, May 30, 2013

Exploring the Cemetery


The day I left Toronto we had one last adventure!  Sarah and I explored Mount Pleasant Cemetery which is right across the street from her house.  I can’t say I have ever explored a cemetery before, but this one is HUGE and is set up with many paths, gardens, and water fountains within a cemetery.  It was a gorgeous, hot and sunny day in May and all the trees were coming out in bloom.  (This shot is currently my desktop background on my computer…isn't it pretty?)



Mount Pleasant is the burial place for many famous individuals.  Foster Hewitt (of Hockey Night in Canada fame) is buried there, along with Robertson Davies (Canadian author) and Northrop Frye (Canadian literary critic) just to name a few.  Sarah and I wanted to go and find all the graves of the famous Canadians buried there but Hewitt, Davies, and Frye were rather tricky to find, so I’m saving them for my next visit ;)

We did manage to find the plot of Glenn Gould (Canadian pianist).  This was the highlight since we are both musicians!  I liked how his gravestone was in the shape of a piano.


Here are Sir Frederick Banting and Dr. Charles Best, the discoverers of insulin (their names are always said together, so I was half expecting them to be buried beside each other…disappointingly they weren't).



William Lyon Mackenzie King, Canada’s 10th and longest serving Prime Minister!


It really is a lovely location, even if the normal circumstances for visiting are rather somber.

I’ll be back in the next few days with my tutorial on how to make a fake, no maintenance terrarium and some more house updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments!! If you don't have a profile listed, choose Name/URL (you can leave the URL space blank, but please leave your name!) or you can choose anonymous :)